Pasta Salad 2.0
This chickpea and rotini salad is one dish from Dining Service’s new, national award-winning line of Healthy & Lean Bean Pastas. All are vegetarian, low-carb, gluten-free, non-GMO, and high in both fiber and protein. Also, a quick straw poll at one dining hall found students insisting they were absolutely delicious as well.
Chickpea Rotini with Roasted Garlic, Tomato, Mozzarella and Balsamic Gastrique
Makes 8 portions
For the garlic oil
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
Combine oil and garlic in a sheet pan and roast at 375 degrees until light golden brown. Remove from oven and season with red pepper flakes and salt. Cool, then blend in a blender or mash with wire whisk. Makes extra.
For the balsamic gastrique
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
Combine the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan over medium
heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the vinegar reduces to a syrup (about half its volume). Cool and place in a squirt bottle if you have one. Makes extra.
- 16 ounces Banza chickpea rotini, cooked according to package directions
- 8 ounces fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- ⅛ cup garlic oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, sliced thinly
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella log, diced
- balsamic gastrique, for garnish
In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the chickpea rotini, the diced tomatoes, and the garlic oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until heated through, stirring occasionally. Remove the pot from the heat and gently stir in the basil. Spoon the rotini mixture onto serving plates, garnish with mozzarella, and drizzle with balsamic gastrique.