Challenge yourself to Tom’s Trivia!
See if you know as much as King of UConn Trivia and University Deputy Spokesperson Tom Breen ’00 (CLAS).
Scroll to the bottom to reveal the answers.
UConn made international headlines in 1999 when researcher Jerry Yang and his colleagues
successfully cloned the first animal from non-reproductive related cells. What was the name of this famous cow?
UConn didn’t grant honorary degrees until 1982, although three were conferred on members of the university community in 1918 and 1934. Who was the first official recipient of an honorary Doctor of Letters from UConn?
A: Maurice Sendak
B: Isaac B. Singer
C: Fred Rogers
D: Barbara Tuchman
For 30 years, the Daily Campus has occupied its own building near the Buckley Residence Hall. Where was the newspaper based just before that building was constructed?
A: The Student Union
B: A former sorority house
C: The basement of Wilbur Cross
What was the informal name of the ski slope that was located east of Horsebarn Hill, complete with two rope tows, a warming hut, and nighttime lights?
A: Husky Hill
B: Mount Jonathan
C: The Connecticut Matterhorn
D: The Horsebarn Run
Skiing on campus in 1935. That’s Beach Hall, which at the time held the library, the post office, the book store, a cafeteria, and classrooms.
- C. Amy was soon joined by other “clone sisters,” including Betty, Daisy, and Cathy. In 2002, Amy gave birth to a daughter, named Fina-Lee, after the long wait for the world’s first cloned cow to naturally reproduce.
- D. The Pulitzer-winning historian (and Connecticut resident) was among the first group of recipients to formally receive honorary degrees from UConn (Singer, Rogers, and Sendak would receive their honorary degrees later). Ironically, Tuchman herself had no graduate degree as a student of history – a factor she cited in her success as a writer and historian.
- B. A two-story house, located on the spot where the Daily Campus building now stands, had served many purposes since it was built in the 1920s after a student ordered it from the Sears catalog: housing for farmworkers; a sorority house; and bad-weather quarters for dining hall workers. From 1982 to 1991, it was the home of the Daily Campus.
- A. From 1967 to 1978, the University operated a ski slope that was free for students and cost $1 for members of the public. Although it didn’t have a formal name, it was generally known as “Husky Hill.” Budget cuts, along with gradually diminishing snowfall, spelled the end of the slope.
Leave a Reply