“Not So Crabby Vegan Crab Cakes with Remoulade Dressing” was named the 2016 Best Vegan Recipe by the National Association of College & University Food Services. Hearts of palm are used to emulate the texture and flavor of crab, while many of the other elements are locally sourced at Spring Manor Farm’s student-run garden.
Not So Crabby Vegan Crab Cakes with Remoulade Dressing
“Not So Crabby Crab Cakes” serves 3
For the Crab Cakes
- 1 pound hearts of palm, drained
- 1 1/3 cup finely crushed vegan crackers, divided
- 3 scallions (green and white parts), finely chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
Shred hearts of palm into a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup of the crushed vegan crackers, scallions, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, mustard, flaxseed meal, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix until just combined. Using your hands or a 2-ounce ice-cream scoop, form a ball, then a patty. Dredge both sides of crab cake patty in the rest of the finely crushed vegan crackers and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, then add crab cakes in small batches, and cook until browned on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
For the Cucumber Salad
- 2 pounds cucumbers, peeled, deseeded, and julienned
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss until coated. Refrigerate until needed.
For the Herbed Remoulade Dressing
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon whole grain-mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons capers, finely chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate until needed.
Place three plates on flat surface. Put a bed of the Cucumber Salad on bottom of each plate. Place three Crab Cakes on top of each cucumber salad, and dollop each cake with 1 teaspoon of the Herbed Remoulade Dressing.