UConn Magazine Archives

UConn Magazine is produced in print three times a year, in January, May and September.

View Full Archive

Hold Your Fire

For the country’s 100th anniversary of ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps), we asked former cadet Nick Hurley ’13, who now works at the University Archives, to find and caption photos, including this one taken in the Armory circa 1920. “Based on their surroundings, the fact that they are so close to their targets, and that other cadets are in the line of fire, I’m confident this is not a live-fire exercise,” says Hurley, with a smile. “They are likely being taught marksmanship basics. They would then move to the basement, where the live-fire target practice would take place.”

Discuss

1. Bob macfarlane says:

That’s me on the left in the 1983 homecoming photo. I was commissioned in Dec ’84 and retired in 2013 after 28 years. I had a great career and it all started as a ROTC cadet at UConn. Thanks for the memories.

• Nick Hurley says:

Very glad you enjoyed the photos sir! It was a labor of love for me to put this gallery together. As an historian, Army officer, former Cadet, and UConn alum, it is a subject very close to my heart. If you ever have any memorabilia, papers, letters, etc. related to your time in the service (and especially at UConn) that you would like to donate, please feel free to contact me at archives@uconn.edu. We are always looking to grow our collections, particularly our Connecticut Soldiers Collection. Thanks!

2. Ann Orlitzki Lupton says:

Yes, I was the first woman commissioned through UConn’s AFROTC program, and actually went on to earn my AF pilot wings, retiring in 1994 with just over 20 years of active service. While I was already a licensed civilian pilot when I joined AFROTC at UConn, I spend my first 2 years of active duty as a weather forecaster, and then had an opportunity to enter AF pilot training among the fist women chosen for this training. It was an amazing experience to be part of the changing views of women and their role in serving our nation. It was a privilege to have served!

• Nick Hurley says:

I’m so happy you took the time to leave a comment! And to confirm what I was 99% sure of-that you were the first! I hope you enjoyed the photos. I know it’s been a while since this article was published, but I just wanted to write and let you know that we are ALWAYS interested in acquiring items related to UConn history. We are especially trying to grow our Connecticut Soldiers Collection, and so if you have any papers or artifacts related to your time in the service (especially your time as an ROTC cadet at UConn), please feel free to contact me at archives@uconn.edu anytime. Thank you!

3. Keith Antonia says:

I graduated and commissioned infantry in 1981. Hometown Manchester, CT. Retired from the Army in 2001, 6 weeks before 911. It would be great if UCONN could identify Army and Air Force ROTC graduates who had distinguished military careers. For example, former 4-star Army General RisCassi is a ’58 grad; 2-star former Army Major General Brian Keller is a ’80 grad. There’s gotta be more. Also, did the Army ROTC detachment nominate anyone for the Army ROTC Hall of Fame? If so, who?

Thanks for the photos and work on this!

Keith

• Nick Hurley says:

My pleasure sir! Thank you for your service, and what sounds like an incredible career. Now that I am a permanent staff member at the archives, I’m beginning to establish a set of long-term projects and goals, and I think your suggestion of identifying particularly distinguished ROTC grads is a good one. I will do my best to work on that going forward. In the meantime, I want to let you know that I’m always available if you ever find yourself wanting to donate artifacts or papers related to your time in the service. Our Connecticut Soldiers Collection is growing constantly, and your material would be an excellent addition. If you would ever like to donate items, please feel free to contact me at archives@uconn.edu. And in response to your other question: I don’t know how many overall nominees that got submitted to the Hall of Fame, or who within the ROTC program submitted them, but there were two that were accepted: Major General Theodore Antonelli (Class of ’41), and Colonel Edwin W. Passmore (Class of ’82). The entire hall of fame can be seen online at http://www.cadetcommand.army.mil/hof/main.htm